How To Activate a Starbucks Gift Card—A Simplified Guide
How To Activate a Starbucks Gift Card
With more than 30,000 locations worldwide, Starbucks is the world’s most successful coffee shop—and for a good reason. A cup of Starbucks coffee never disappoints. Still, Starbucks isn’t known for its budget-friendliness, meaning it can easily get expensive for regular Starbucks customers. To offset these costs, Starbucks offers gift cards.
In this guide, we’ll explain how to activate a Starbucks gift card, how to redeem it, and how to get a brand new one with Mode Mobile.
How Do Starbucks Gift Cards Work?
Starbucks offers physical (paper or plastic) and digital gift cards that enable you to purchase food, drinks, and merchandise from Starbucks restaurants and online via the Starbucks app. The gift cards are available in denominations from $5 to $500.
Starbucks gift cards—whether physical or digital—are for digital use only. This means you have to register your gift card and add it to your account via the app to make payments with it.
The following table provides answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about using Starbucks gift cards:
Are Starbucks gift cards reloadable?
Yes. After you’ve depleted your card balance, you can reload it for any amount between $2.50 and $500 in the following ways:
You can also schedule an automatic card reload, and Starbucks will deduct the set amount on the date of your choosing
What payment methods can I use to reload my gift card?
Credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover)
Can I get cashback from Starbucks gift cards?
No. You cannot redeem the card for cash unless mandated by law. You also can’t request a refund once the value is loaded
Do Starbucks gift cards expire?
Yes, three years after the last financial transaction. A transaction can be card activation, reload, redemption for a purchase or Starbucks rewards, or fund transfer
Do You Have To Activate Your Starbucks Gift Card?
Starbucks gift cards bought directly from the company don’t require activation, but cards from third-party sellers like Amazon may need to be activated. Once you activate your card, you can start using it for purchases. You’ll be able to check the card balance, schedule automatic reloads, and manage your card activity. Activating your Starbucks gift card also unlocks the following perks:
- Automatic entry into the Starbucks Rewards program—With each purchase, you will earn points (Stars) that can be redeemed for various prizes (this program is eligible only for coffee lovers in the U.S. and Canada)
- Safety against loss or fraud—In case of any unauthorized transactions, you will get a refund for the remaining amount. This also applies to damaged, lost, or stolen Starbucks gift cards
Source: Omar Lopez
How To Activate Starbucks Gift Card Online
Before using a Starbucks gift card for the first time, you should ensure the card has at least $5. This is the minimum amount a Starbucks gift card should have to be activated or used.
If the card has the specified amount, you can activate it online on the Starbucks Card Activation page. You can also activate it via a web browser using the following steps:
- Visit the Starbucks gift card page
- Click on the Add or Reload button—this will take you to an online form
- Enter the 16-digit card number and Card Security Code (CSC)
- Click on Add
If your card doesn’t have the specified amount, reload it at a Starbucks restaurant or via the app.
Earn Free Starbucks Gift Cards Easily With the Mode Earn App
Source: Mode Mobile
The Mode Earn App is a rewards-based app that is free to download and use.
Once you download it from Google Play and install it on your phone, the app will run in the background, track your phone-based activities, and reward you points for performing various tasks. Currently, you can earn up to $600 a year for using the app to complete phone-based activities, such as:
- Playing mobile games
- Watching short videos
- Streaming music and playing the radio
- Locking and unlocking your phone
- Checking the weather
- Surfing the internet
- Tracking fitness goals
The reward points you collect for these tasks can be exchanged for free gift cards from various brands, including Starbucks, Amazon, Walmart, Sephora, eBay, and others. The company also offers the following redemption items:
- Game-related rewards (Fortnite V-Bucks cards, Free Fire diamonds, PUBG UC, PlayStation cards, etc.)
- Prepaid virtual Mastercards
- PayPal cash deposits
- Stocks and cryptocurrency
- Electronic gadgets like headphones and drones
- Shopping discounts
Apart from a wide range of tasks and rewards to choose from, there are other reasons the Mode Earn App is one of the best rewards-based apps on the market. The app has been downloaded more than 30 million times worldwide and has over 2.6 million reviews, with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Install the Mode Earn App today to earn a Starbucks gift card and enjoy a completely free caffeine boost!
Double Your Rewards With the Mode Earn Phone
If you want to double your earning rate, getting a Mode Earn Phone is the answer. This unique Android-powered smartphone helps you make more than $1,200 a year for performing the same phone-related tasks as app-only users. To make that happen, the Mode Earn Phone comes with a built-in Mode Earn App and an earn-as-you-go-widget with 16 earning modes, including:
- Games Mode
- News Mode
- Watch Mode
- Weather Mode
- Music Mode
- Lock Screen Mode
- Fitness Mode
- Data Mode
- News Mode
The Mode Earn Phone also offers some of the best specs on the smartphone market, such as:
- Full 6.5” HD screen
- 4000 mAh battery
- Fingerprint and Face ID for security
- Octa-core processor (enables lag-free switching between apps)
- Compatibility with all major GSM carriers
Source: Mode Mobile
How To Get the Mode Earn Phone
You can get the latest Mode Earn Phone MEP2 model in two ways:
- Buy the phone for a one-time price of $109
- Pay a monthly subscription of $9.99/month (billed quarterly)—You will get a one-month free trial to test the product. If you decide to keep your subscription active, you will be eligible to receive the latest phone model when it’s released (which is every 18 months)
You can earn back this investment and cover the phone data costs within three months by using the phone for three to four hours every day.
Get the Mode Earn Phone today and take your side income game to the next level.
How To Redeem a Starbucks Gift Card
- Open the Starbucks app—Android or iOS
- Create an account or log in to your existing one
- Hit Cards at the bottom of the screen
- Tap on Add Card
- Enter the required card details (the gift card number and security code)—this information can be found on the back of your card (for physical copies) or in the delivery email (for eGift cards)
- Check the box for Make This My Primary Card if you want to use the card as your default payment method
- Tap on the Add Card button
Once you complete these steps, your card will be added to your account and will have the exact cover design as the actual gift card. You can then use the card to pay for online orders and purchase products from a physical Starbucks store.
How To Pay for Online Orders With a Starbucks Gift Card
If you want to pay for an online pickup order with a gift card, follow these steps:
- Open the app and log in to your account
- Tap on the Order button at the bottom of the screen
- Customize your order
- Choose a pickup location near you
- Tap on Confirm Store—this will take you to the order checkout screen
- Click on the Payment tab
- Select the Starbucks gift card payment option from the drop-down menu and hit Continue
- Tap on Checkout $XX.XX (total order amount) to place your order
If the amount on the card isn’t enough to cover the order, you can pay the remaining amount with your credit or debit card.
How To Use Starbucks Gift Cards for In-Store Purchases
Although delivery orders remain convenient, many Starbucks lovers prefer to get their favorite coffee during their daily commute. To pay for your regular coffee at a Starbucks restaurant, here’s what you should do at the point-of-sale terminal:
- Open the app after you have made your order
- Click on the Scan tab at the bottom of the screen
- Tap on Scan & Pay and select your card—the card will have a barcode displayed under it (if you have multiple cards under your account, scroll and select the card you want)
- Present the barcode to the cashier for scanning to complete the payment
How To Check Your Starbucks Gift Card Balance
Before making an order, confirm how much is left on your Starbucks gift card in the following ways:
- Visit a Starbucks restaurant—Go to your local Starbucks and give your gift card to the cashier. They will run your card number and code through a computer and inform you of the remaining balance
- Visit the Starbucks website—Open the gift card page and click on Check Balance
- Use the Starbucks app—Tap on the Scan button to open a quick view of the balances of all your added Starbucks gift cards
You don’t have to skip your daily hot cup if your gift card balance is depleted—you can always get a new gift card for free with Mode Mobile. Thanks to the company’s products, you can earn hundreds of dollars worth of cash and other rewards, including Starbucks gift cards, every year for performing casual tasks on your phone, such as surfing the web and playing mobile games.
Featured image source: Florinel Gorgan